Sunday 13 July 2008

Children's Writers and Illustrators Group Conference

To anyone that is interested:

Children's Writers and Illustrators Group Conference

Phillip Pullman will be in attendance, as well as David Almond!

I can email you a copy of the itinerary if you're interested.

But, it's kinda really expensive...

So I sent an email to the co-ordinators and they've sent this reply:

We've come up with various options:
a) you and your fellow students can come at members rates - they are as low as we can go I'm afraid
HOWEVER
b) you and your fellow students could come for £40 each for the two days - no meals but all talks/workshops
or
c) £70 per student lunch only plus all talks/workshops for the 2 days.
Let me know what you choose. We can only offer this to a very limited number of students so I suggest you don't hesitate for too long!
Outings are £10 each and can't be reduced...but are very optional and there is a lot of good stuff going on in Cambridge for free.

I think there are plenty of ways to make this affordable, choosing the £40 option and getting meals at boots and taking things that can be made easily like cuppa soups and whole fruits and veggies. Getting there can be done on the Megabus and if you book early, fares are only £1 (but be aware that you have to travel from Newcastle to London, London to Oxford, and then on to cambridge. Long freaking day on a bus) but hey, it's cheap and you get to take the scenic route). There are quite a few hostels in Cambridge, and I bet if we ask around, some of the uni's might let us stay in their dorms quite cheaply.

I think I want to go. Who wants to go with me?

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I'm deffo up for it, sign me up.

However, I will not be going by mega bus, I would rather die. Ok, maybe a little dramatic but not far from the truth, train fares can be reasonable if booked in advance so i'll be doing that and those who would rather mega bus it I'll see you there :)

Rob Smedley said...

I'd love to go too! But I'm in agreement with Lynne in regards to the Mega Bus. I'll shell out the extra cash to catch a train. :)